Pathway Curriculum Intent
At White Bridge we believe that a high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others, and through their reading and listening, others can communicate with them both in an educational and work setting.
Through reading and discussion, pupils have a chance to develop socially, culturally, emotionally and intellectually. Reading enables pupils both to acquire knowledge and to build on what they already know.
We want our young people to participate as fully as possible as members of society by learning how to speak, read and write to the best of their ability.
The White Bridge Vocational English Curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading accurately, for information and guidance
- extend their vocabulary and acquire an understanding of grammar and knowledge to develop their level of reading, writing and spoken language
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate
Taking into account the transient nature of our student body and likelihood that students will enter at varying stages of their KS4 curricular, English Schemes of work are designed to be fluid, focussing on delivering a range of skills and texts, covering a range of topics.